Developed in conjunction with Joomla extensions.

Leicester 5-2 Shrewsbury, 06/03/1982
Don't even think about skipping to the next entry, or shutting down the browser, on the grounds that this involves little old Leicester and Shrewsbury.

This is good enough for a full Forgotten Story, never mind a Joy of Six entry. Leicester were involved in another famous quarter-final in 2001 – also known as The Fairytale of Roy Essandoh – but that had nothing on this, The Farce of Filbert Street. It had four goalkeepers, seven goals, 13 minutes of injury-time in an age when there were usually around 13 seconds and, most improbably of all, an Englishman called Chic.

Not that there was anything particularly chic about the game. It was a rugged knee-trembler of an FA Cup tie which, wrote Patrick Barclay in this paper, "produced so much excitement that purists in the 30,000 crowd forgot to complain". Quite right too. Even though Shrewsbury had put the Uefa Cup holders Ipswich out in the previous round, these were two fairly average second-division teams and the intoxicating prospect of reaching the semi-final drove them to produce a classic.

It started fairly routinely, with Larry May heading Leicester ahead from a corner in the sixth minute; but from the moment the Leicester goalkeeper Mark Wallington injured his thigh badly in a collision with Chic Bates in the 21st minute, all bets were off. Wallington stayed on after some encouragement from his Scottish manager Jock Wallace, but he was excruciatingly at fault when Shrewsbury scored two quick goals through Bates and Jack Keay. For the first Wallington could not even come to the edge of his six-yard box to meet a deep free-kick, and for the second, unable to get off the ground because of his injured thigh, he punched hopelessly at fresh air like an amply refreshed gentleman trying to settle a particularly profound debate in the traditional manner.

Wallington had to go off after that mistake and, with no substitute goalkeepers in those days, he was replaced by the centre-forward Alan Young. Seconds later, and on the stroke of half-time, Leicester were level after a farcical own goal from Steve Biggins. Leicester started the second half well after their mildly psychotic manager Wallace – who once grabbed Gary Lineker by the neck and threw him against the wall at half-time in a reserve match, even though Leicester were 2-0 up and Lineker had scored both goals – had what he described in rather sinister fashion as a "wee word in their ears at half-time". Then it all started to go wrong again when the stand-in goalkeeper Young had to go off after landing awkwardly in another collision, this time with Bernard McNally.

He was replaced by Steve Lynex and, because only one sub was allowed, Leicester were down to 10 men. Eventually Young came back on an as an outfield player; a few minutes later, in an inspired move, Wallace put him back in goal and Lynex back on the right wing. With his first touch Lynex created a neatly taken third goal for Jim Melrose, who – keep up with us now – had come on for Wallington in the first place; from there, Leicester ran off into the distance. A 21-year-old Lineker scored coolly to make it 4-2, and Melrose's last-minute header finished things off. When Filbert Street was closed in 2002, Lineker picked this as his favourite game, saying "It may sound a strange choice." To those who were there, it was the only choice.